Friday, September 21, 2007

BOLLOCKS!

The long weekend I was looking forward to next week in Galway and Dublin is not happening!

As mentioned previously, I was supposed to fly to Dublin next week, meet a few friends, and then head out to Galway for J's sister's wedding. One thing I was afraid of was that the hospitals I had applied to for my pre-reg would get back to me requesting my attendance for interview during the time I was supposed to be in Ireland.

They have done exactly that.

(What the hell is going on here? I'm sitting here waiting for the progression lists to go up on university website, and they keep putting up the ones for the first and second year classes first)

The first e-mail came through last Saturday (I hope these people don't make a habit of working at weekends, or expecting me to), calling me for an interview with the Brighton Sussex group of hospitals, for Wednesday 26th of September. On Monday, another e-mail came through, requesting my attendance for another interview on Thursday 27th of September...


(THANK GOD! The progression lists have just gone up for the third years and I've passed. But anyway, where was I...)

I contacted the hospitals and requested a reschedule. They politely refused. So now everything has gone pear tarte-tatin. Instead of going to Ireland for a good aul' knees-up and meeting up with my friends, I'm staying here and doing job interviews. I've done well to get to the interview stage, but getting into hospital pharmacy is a competitive business and for the interview I have on Wednesday, there are 21 applicants (whittled down from 50-odd) competing for 7 places. No pressure. None whatsoever.

Some people on the course have taken the time to fill out their preferences for their four hospitals on the online application site, only to have been turned down for all four without an interview (not to mention any notification, save for a small note on their online application). I can see how my application got me an interview, but I don't really see how I can make an interview get me a job. Fingers crossed it works out. I'll DIE if I have to spend a year in a community pharmacy.

So there goes my long weekend, and I'm back in College on the first of October. Oh the joys...

No comments: