Well, it's not like I have anything else to write about (except for that time on Tuesday night where I went out for a friend's 30th birthday party and we stayed out until 6am and my 30-year old friend got hilariously drunk and in the grand old student tradition robbed a traffic cone and one of the girls we were with decided she wouldn't be outdone and robbed a sandbag from the same roadworks site but anyway I digress where was I?).
I still haven't scored a job for after graduation. I have accepted that I most likely will be working in a community pharmacy for a year. This is fine by me in some respects, as it would be a gentler introduction to working in the field. The only thing is that because I'm going to be working in a relatively confined space for a year, I have to make sure the supervising pharmacist who takes me under his wing isn't the kind to soar high into the sky and then drop me, i.e. relatively sane and decent with people who sometimes need things explained to them more than once.
Having said that, I'm still keeping an eye on the hospital sector. I recently applied to a hospital near Birmingham. The location certainly wouldn't be anything approaching my personal preference, but I figured I might as well try. It turned out that I didn't even get shortlisted for an interview. I was a bit annoyed with that, but figured that at least it saved me a long train journey, and I sent them a mail asking them for feedback on my application.
They said my application was strong, as usual, but that while I listed my pharmacy experience, I didn't specifically mention what I gained from it. I took this on board, and also the advice of one of the tutors at university who said that I should emphasize the hospital experience I gained from within my course (I previously tended not to think of this as an asset, as every pharmacy student does it throughout their course). I redid my CV, and sent it off on Thursday for another vacancy that has arisen in a well-known London teaching hospital. I wasn't very optimistic, as the Birmingham hospital had about 60 applicants for one position, and as the London one is a popular hospital, it was bound to have even more.
I must have done something right, as I got a phone call the next afternoon, asking me if I would like to attend for interview this coming Wednesday. They asked for my e-mail address and said that they would send on the details. I haven't got them yet, however, so I'm ringing them on Monday morning.
It's all a bit of a juggling act at the moment, as I have a presentation to give in 10 days, a draft of my thesis to hand in at some point this coming week, and now I have to prepare for this interview as well, which by all accounts is supposed to be a fairly gruelling process, according to the people who have done it already.
I picked up my graduation pack earlier in the week, which felt a little weird. It had all the arrangements for the ceremony in it, along with a brochure for gown hire. I've bought the tickets, and reserved my place at the ceremony. It feels a little strange that the whole degree will be over and done with in just over a month (not to mention scary: all I can think about is how much I still don't know, and how I'll eventually be responsible for the drugs that loads of people will be taking). At this stage, I'm fairly confident of passing (the introduction for my thesis was well received: my tutor told me that as long as I keep writing as I am, I'll be fine), but I can't yet put a finger on what kind of degree I'm going to get.
In the middle of all this, I've almost forgotten that I'll be 33 next Sunday. I've plans to celebrate with the venerable Luke Brooks, who'll be 2 this year on the same day. Other than that the Bear Bash in Manchester will be the following Friday, so that should suffice. Fingers crossed there'll be some hot furry action, though I am NOT looking forward to the 7 hours on the bus (all the cheap rail tickets were gone. Aaarrrggghh!)
Now back I go to that wretched dissertation...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment