It's hard to believe that this coming week will mark the halfway point of my year's contract in my job with the trust I'm currently working in. So, what are my thoughts?
- Working full time sucks, unless you are blindly in love with your job. I haven't got around to half the things I'd planned to do in London since I moved here, so I'm going to have to make a list and vow to try and achieve one of each of the things on it every weekend.
- I'm currently working in a hospital that is right across the road from where I live. The convenience of this is immeasureable, though I haven't yet (surprise!) got around to doing all the early morning fitness stuff that I swore I would do now that I have an extra two hours in the day to play with. Having said that, it rocks to be able to stay in bed until 8am and still have time for breakfast, a shower and brushing my teeth.
- British Military Fitness is going well, and I had a fitness assessment recently, which highlighted my 'inner core strength'. I still need to work on my running though, and I'm still a bit rubbish at doing press-ups for any length of time. Still, I'm almost ready to move up to the intermediate level of the class. The battle for a six-pack continues, though. In one corner: the fitness instructor who makes us run until we're almost dead. In the other corner: my predeliction for cream-filled chocolate choux buns.
- While nothing beats a good night out with cool people and lots of alcohol, the next day is always a waste. Unfortunately the world is a much greyer place without the occasional vat of beer, and it may be better to resign one's self to this rather than stay in and be miserable at weekends. London was made for going out in, after all.
- Having taken lack of organisation to previously-unheard of heights at uni, I'm now having to seriously modify some deeply ingrained habits just to put down a reasonably productive and responsible week at work. We were given a mock state board exam a while back, and the results (for all of us, not just me) show that there is still quite a bit of gaps to be filled in my knowledge.
- I think I'll be trying something other than hospital pharmacy for a while after I finish here. To pay off my student loan, if nothing else. I wouldn't mind working for a drug company for a while, but most of them are located out in the sticks, and I want to stay in London for the immediate future. While some parts of hospital pharmacy are cool, I still don't know if I'd ever be any good at it in the long term, and the first three years in a hospital as a registered pharmacist are very general, and I'd have to work in areas that I've no interest in before I'd have a chance to specialise.
- The above mentioned, I'm still learning a lot. Most likey more than I would if I was in a retail outlet all year. At the moment I'm doing a rotation in a cardio-thoracic hospital, and while I always sucked at this when I was at uni, I'm now slowly getting my head around how all of it works. Over the next couple of weeks, I'll be getting the chance to see some heart surgery, which should be pretty cool.
- I really don't like having to stick this blog behind a password, and I may well end up reversing this later on, but for the moment this is how it has to be. Another thing is that I don't really have much to write about right now: Brighton was such a voyage of discovery, but since I've moved up here, it's been all work and no play (though I may write about my recent first night at Stark Bollock Naked at The Hoist later on!).
- Does anyone know how to turn around and study after a day at work? Granted, where I am at the moment can be quiet, and there is occasionally a chance to get out the books, but come 5pm, my brain is a pile of mush, and then I have to turn around and learn about such things as guidelines on secondary prevention of heart failure and myocardial infarction.
Oh well. Onward ho. It can be gratifying to occasionally hear that all the other people I graduated with are going through occasional patches of feeling fed-up with having to get up early every morning and only getting two days off out of seven. At least I got to go home over Christmas, and see my family, and New Year's in London was really rather excellent.
I've taken off all of next week. Part of it is to try and catch up on what I have to learn (boo!) but I'm also going to take it easy and visit a few sights and do a few things I haven't gotten around to doing here thus far.
Next on the cards. Go and see Milk...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment