Saturday, May 28, 2005

Baptism of Fire!

The weekend of May 12th was not the climax of my social life. Last night was!

Warning: What follows features descriptions of sexual encounters.

Last night I met up with a chap called Phil. We first met at one of the LGBT Brighton meetings, and he was the only one there, as far as I could see, who was acquainted with the bear scene in Brighton. We kept meaning to hook up so he could introduce me to all that, but life always seemed to get in the way. We met this week in college though, and plans were made to go out on Friday. So last night, even though I have my first exam on Tuesday coming (pray for me!), I met him in Kemptown, and my introduction began.

We started late, so we didn't have much time, but a quick drink was had in the Marine Tavern, and then we hit The Bulldog. I can't believe I put off going to this place for so long, it's class. Loads of hot n' hairy men everywhere, and a really good atmosphere. There's something so arousing about seeing two big burly hairy men mauling each other in a confined and sweaty space. It makes me want to jump right in there between the two of them. In there, I met the guy who inspired me to shave my head too. I had originally planned to go home early, but of course that went out the window after my second pint, and it was decided we would go to Schwarz bar. That was when my eyes were truly opened to what can go on in gay Brighton for the first time.

I got to the door. The bouncers took one look at me and told me I couldn't go in with the shirt I had on me, but provided a black t-shirt for me. I was surprised by this. It's a good way of accommodating people who can't, for whatever reason, manage the dress code. Then I went in, and my jaw went down.

First I had a quick look in the playroom. It's an area sectioned off by net curtains and oil drums. To get an idea of what goes on, click here. That's right, you guessed it, one big orgy of sharing and caring. I returned, figuring out in my head how I was going to get my first acquisition in there. Then my eyes alighted on the two men near the bar. One standing up with his pants open, the other on his knees in front of him, moving back and forward vigorously. I went to use the toilet at the back of the bar. I opened the door, only to encounter the same scenario again. I retreated, and headed for the slightly-less-cruisy toilets near the cloakroom.

After that, I resolved to participate in the proceedings. Into the play area I went, found myself a big cuddly dude, and got to work. While we were engaging each other, I felt a pair of hands lower down on me. I turned around and extended an inviting arm around the chap behind me. Then I looked down, and realised that the second party was actually the guy on his knees to one side of me. Whoops...

I also copped onto the fact that it pays to pay attention to the face of the guy you're entangled with, otherwise you run the risk of chatting him up again later in the night, not realising you've had him already.

The talent overall in there was fine (lots of big shaven-headed goateed guys in army gear and leather), and I felt a bit more integrated into the proceedings with my head shaved. Phil told me that as a general rule of thumb you have to dress a bit like the kind of man you are after, so once I have some money, it's off to buy khaki and leather, with a pair of doc martens enjoying a comeback as well. Am I embracing a new gayness? It certainly looks like it, especially since I've had more men in this one night than I've had for the rest of the year.

As the night went on, I got into the art of cruising, as chat-up lines are almost completely unnecessary. Most of the time, all that is required is eye contact. I finished off by advancing on a guy in the main bar area. He wanted me on my knees then and there, but I have my standards, so I led him back to the play area. As I went down, I put out my hands to get some balance, and it was then I found a condom on the floor. For some reason, I found this completely symbolic of the whole night. Once I was done with him, my eyes settled on a rather dapper guy in classic YMCA leather gear, but just as we were about to get acquainted, closing time descended, and security came in to usher us out.

I got my shirt back at the door, and headed out into the cool night for the walk home. I met two guys in my class on my way back. They asked me if I had a good time. I replied in the affirmative, and left it at that. I didn't hold back as much with two of my flatmates though, and one of them asked me if I gave or took. It's often been my experience that straight guys want to know this from a gay guy. Whyfuck?

It matters not. It's taken a while, but I have found what I came here for. Thanks Phil.

No comments: