I found out yesterday that, as a mature student, I am entitled to unemployment benefit this summer at the usual rate of 130 euro a week. My sanity has started to make something of a recovery. Now I will be able to do things that normal people do, like go to the cinema, and top up my phone credit.
My results are out sometime at the start of next week. I'm not sure how I feel about this impending revelation. I have almost certainly failed Biology, and if the resit date coincides with or interferes with any of the concerts I want to go to in August, I will surely kill myself. Here's hoping...
The morning of the London bombs was one of the few where I was actually up early enough to hear about it happening on the radio. At least the people I know that are based there are OK.
My sister and I were having the discussion that morning, and one thing that came up was that if Al-Quida had struck just before the UK general election, it would have quite possibly scuppered Tony Blair's chances of getting back into power, just as what happened in Spain with the Madrid bombings. The then PM of Spain blamed ETA solely to distract attention away from the fact that he had led his country's armed forces into Iraq against the wishes of almost everyone in Spain, and now they were suffering the consequences.
I wonder though, if the relationship between participation in the Iraq war and suffering revenge at the hands of the terrorist organisation is that linear.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment