
Well, I've just come from my first Kung Fu class, and it was pretty interesting.
I walked in, and felt more than a little uncomfortable in a t-shirt, jeans and runners when most of the other people had fancy martial arts outfits on. It didn't seem to matter, and we started off doing laps of the gym, running in various different ways. Having jogged for some time now, I usually find these circuits pretty easy, but the instructor incorporated these arm and leg movements into the running that made it a whole lot more challenging, and within a minute or two I was breaking a sweat.
After that, the main tutor turned up, and we got down to it. Everyone was put into one of two groups and got on with it, except ME. *I* was left standing in the middle of the gym while the tutor (sensei?) gave a talk, which does wonders for your composure when you're feeling self-conscious already. Eventually, I was paired up with a more experienced guy, and he taught me a few postures and punches. The postures are hard bloody work. One of them involves the position you adopt when sitting in a chair, except without the chair underneath you. Yes, dear reader, I fell on my arse quite a few times at the start, and I still haven't quite got the hang of it yet.
There was also the lovely moment where the tutor said we would all have to be able to do the splits by christmas. I felt like leaving when he said that. Oh well...
My attention to form and breathing from the days of doing weights came in handy though, and I managed to pick a few things up without too much bother. I'm definitely going back. It beats doing circuits in the gym. The 75 minutes was over before I knew it.
In other news, I'm going to see a college counsellor tomorrow. I don't feel as overwhelmed as I did when I was in the middle of the exams, but I still think I need to get my thoughts out into the open for examination. My attention span is as usual all over the place, and I could with some help on getting focused.
With a bit of luck and playing my cards right, I might be able to wrangle a Ritalin prescription, which I can use to help me study for hours on end and help net me a string of A's at the end of the year. Ha!
No comments:
Post a Comment