Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Another gig...

The Pixies played well last night, but I still preferred the gig where I saw them in the Phoenix Park for some reason. Lansdowne road is simply too big for a intimate gig. You feel (probably because you are) just one of several thousand. Yes, the Phoenix park is bigger than Lansdowne, but the fact that it's a park improves the experience. There are loads of places you can just throw yourself down to chill out in a park, but you don't get that feeling in a stadium. When you're on your own, as I was, the only thing to do is drink, really. That worked last Friday,but not last night, and it brings problems that I've previously referred to. However much of a journey it was to get anywhere near the moshpit, it was even harder to get out when you needed a piss break. I marvel at people who brought their pints right up there with them. They must have bladders of iron.

Another problem was that no matter how close I tried to get the stage, I was still WAY back. Our merry headliners looked like miniatures from where I was, a fact that only the screens could help with. On Friday I was able to get right up to the stage, so this impression suffered by comparison.

The Kings of Leon were supporting. They appear to have generated some fuss since they arrived on the music scene, but from last night's performance I can't really see why. They certainly don't do anything for me.

It wasn't all bad for me, just not as good as it could have been. The band itself were on top form, playing songs from every album, it was just difficult enough to get into it. This going to concerts alone lark, it's for the birds really. It never really bothered me until yesterday, but next time I'll make more of an effort to drag someone with me.

Anyway, the disposable camera has been used up, so pictures will follow soon enough.

No comments: