Sunday, August 12, 2007

Brighon Pride I


Well it's been a week to the day since last Pride, and I loved it.

Friday 3rd saw me get out of bed at my usual time (lunch) and head downstairs to discover that my Got Woof top had arrived. It wasn't very flattering as a long-sleeved top, so I headed into town to get it altered to make it into a t-shirt, which the tailor did for me while I waited.

So with that particular preparation taken care of, I headed to Vision Express to stock up on contact lenses. No self-respecting man-on-the-pull can be seen wearing glasses at Pride, so that was next on my to-do list. However, when I went into Vision Express, the woman told me that I couldn't buy any more contact lenses from them until I had an aftercare check up, and the soonest I could have one would be in a week's time. "But I can't wear glasses over Pride weekend!" I howled. She hastily found me a single pair to tide me over until the appointment. Which was yesterday. Which I completely forgot about. Oops.

After that, I went to get my beard trimmed. I opted for a sort of Chow-Yun Fat effort like from Curse of the Golden Flower. It looked Ok, but I don't think I have the face for it, so while I went with it on Pride weekend, I'm reverting back to normal beardiness now.

After that, I went to Lidl to stock up on food, and Sainsbury's to stock up on alcohol. Pride is always cheaper if you bring your own stuff to the park, and that's what I organised myself enough to do this year. Lastly, as I passed the Bully, I saw all the Bears who arrived early in preparation for the next day. I had an uncontrollable itch to join them, but I knew that if I got into a session, Saturday would be spoiled by a hangover. So I went home.

Of course, with all the excitement I didn't get to sleep untl about 4am anyway, but oh well...

Saturday I rose. Running late at 11:30, I had to order a cab, but I got to see the parade right from the start, which was pretty impressive as usual (and damn if some of the men in Brighton gay men's chorus aren't half bad looking).

Once that was over, I headed to Preston Park for the main event and took in the atmosphere, along with the the big hairy beasts at the Chunk tent. Yum! Then I met some people from Kung Fu and we sat around drinking for ages. At our end of the park, there were no toilets, so certain bushes were designated as Female, and one tree in particular was designated as the magic tree for men. Sample conversations overheard:


When a man tries to use the 'woman-only' bush:

Woman: "Excuse me! This is a woman-only bush!"


When I went to use the magic tree and found a man sitting right next to it:

Me (drunkenly) "Excuse me. Would it be alright if you moved so that I can take a leak against this tree?"


Shortly after that, I went off on my own, and shook my booty in the Wildfruit tent. On my way out, with about half an hour till the park was emptied and closed off, I bumped into a bloke. Bulging of muscle, this guy had a profile on gaydar I'd seen for the first time over a year ago, and I'd lusted over him ever since. We exchanged pleasantries, and then went our separate ways, but not before I found out that he would be in town later...

To be continued...

No comments: