Tuesday, April 04, 2006

A headline I didn't really see coming

Ireland backs legalizing gay partnerships

Well, it's a step in the right direction. I'm somewhat surprised to see those quotes coming from the mouth of Ahern, but then again, I reckon he's just being political about it. Labour have traditionally courted the gay vote, and Bertie probably realises that if he doesn't get in on the action soon, he'll be left behind. Or maybe I'm being cynical.

Of course the reference to the clause in the constitution that 'protects' the institution of marriage shows that we still have some way to go, and if the only way to loosen the grip that the church has on the country is by amputation of the corresponding limb, then so be it.

My clinical exam wasn't a complete disaster, but I made a couple of very stupid mistakes. Hopefully I won't get penalised too much for them. I'm on holidays for the next two weeks, and I'm staying here in an attempt to get some work done. For the first time since I moved in, I can relax, knowing that I'm stable for a while.

One positive outcome of the move from the other hole house that I forgot to mention was that, a week prior to my departure, one of the other girls also moved out, and as her computer proved too cumbersome for her to take with her, she simply left it with me. It's not a bad one: Windows XP/Office XP/DVD player with speakers and a microphone set. It could be a bit faster, but hey, beggars and choosers and all that. I now have all my mp3s are organised in one place on the hard drive, along with all the other stuff. Only one disappointment arose from all this: I did an inventory of my collection of man pictures, and one CD-R, with a gallery of big hairy men on it, appears to have been lost, or else left at home in Ireland (a possibility I really don't want to consider, considering my parents would actually know how to read the contents of one these days).

Oh well, I'll just have to start over with my collection, which is a bit of fun in itself :-)

I saw a documentary last night about living for 30 days on the minimum wage in America (Columbus, Ohio to be exact). It starred limelight-hogger du jour Morgan Spurlock and his girlfriend. Ok, maybe that last bit was unfair, seeing as he's quite good at this kind of thing. The only thing was that I'd seen it all before when Des Bishop did it as part of a roadshow documentary, so there was nothing new there for me. However the '30 days' thing will continue with other people, and one such concept will be a redneck texan being part of the gay community in the gay stronghold of Castro, in San Francisco. That should be interesting, and the photo op that Spurlock did for that, with leather cap and arm bands but otherwise barechested, was kind of hot.

No comments: