The weekend was a blur, spending most of it as I did working in the supermarket. On Saturday I came in, stood watching one of the till girls do her thing - a waste of time, as she did it so quickly I couldn't learn anything - and then went onto the tills myself. I was more than a little nervous, what with a queue snaking halfway down the shop and only two of us to deal with all of it. After a while I settled in. Barcode readers are a cinch, making most of your work brain dead, and you only have to think when someone asks you for something like a lottery ticket or a mobile phone top-up. My only mistakes were IDing a 21 year-old for cigarette papers and a 28 year-old for alcohol. A bit of paranoia on my part.
There's also shelf-stacking though, which can be very tedious and take quite a bit out of you with all the lifting and bending. I have to work tomorrow as well, I'm not sure if it's an eight-hour shift or a nine hour one, but it's a pain having to go in. I'm already tired after the last two days - yawning at my desk here - and I wouldn't normally take something like this on so close to my exams, but I need something to carry me through the summer, in the likely event of me not getting anything anywhere else. I'd prefer to stay in Brighton for the summer, and at the moment working at this is the only way I'll be able to do it. Having to return to Mallow and suffer unemployment would be unbearable.
Anyway, any job as a counter assistant after this will be a cinch. Roll on my next job, in something like Next or CloneZone.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment