We had a lecture today about communication skills of pharmacists (again!) and the speaker made one or two points that piqued my interest.
The first one was about speech patterns. Apparently, when it comes to accents and dialects, Irish, amongst others, speak relatively quickly compared to the English. No surprise there, going by my experience so far, but then he pointed out that in a survey done on the correlation between regional accents and perceived social status, Birmingham came out the worst. That is, if you have a brummie accent, people think you're way down the proverbial ladder. Interesting/damning piece of trivia. For any English people reading this, is that really the case?
Secondly, and what would seem extremely debatable, is the 'olfaction' of people. In other words, how they smell. The speaker maintained that Japanese people don't eat dairy products, and because of this, are much more sensitive to the smell us caucasians emit: The smell of sour milk! This I have to verify. If there are any japanese people reading this, feel free to comment and tell me if this is true. I would love to hear from you. He also maintained Indian people smelled of curry as a result of their diet, which seemed a bit puerile, so the next time I see an Indian person, I'm going to go right up to him/her and have a good sniff around. Or not.
There are pictures of me up on realbrighton.com, when I was out on the gay night last Tuesday. I was going to post them up, but I look like absolute shit in them (being 150,000 sheets to the wind didn't help), and I can now draw two conclusions. One, I have not lost all the weight around my face that I thought I had, and two, I have lost a lot more hair from my head than I originally thought I had. Bah! ;_;
I'm not sure what I'm going to do this weekend. I should study, and try and break the addiction that this habit of blogging has become. Or maybe I'll just go to The Bulldog and chance my arm.
Hmmmm.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment